UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) on Kids!

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Do you have any idea what UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) is? Have you had it before? 
The first time I have heard about it was during my first trimester back when I still pregnant. I got infected by this which was according to my OB-Gyne it is common especially on the early weeks of pregnancy because of the changes in the urinary tract. The increased in weight of the uterus can block the drainage of urine from the bladder, causing an infection. Then, just a few months ago I think, two of my friends kids have suffered from UTI but honestly, I was still in denial that time. I could not believe that as young as 6 months can suffer from this infection, not until last Saturday when my little tot was diagnosed with this infection. Since it is really indeed possible that kids can suffer from this, I have thought that I need to be LOUD this time and to blog a bit information about this infection.Since I know most of my readers are also a parent like me.

As per National Center for Biotechnology Information:

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection of the urinary tract. The urinary tract includes the:
  • Bladder
  • Kidneys
  • Ureters -- the tubes that take urine from each kidney to the bladder
  • Urethra -- the tube that empties urine from the bladder to the outside
Causes, incidence, and risk factors


Urinary tract infections (UTIs) can occur when bacteria find their way into the bladder or the kidneys. These bacteria are normally found on the skin around the anus or sometimes around the vagina.


Normally, there are no bacteria in the urinary tract itself. However, certain things can make it easier for bacteria to enter or stay in the urinary tract. These include:
  • A problem in the urinary tract, called vesicoureteral reflux, which is usually present at birth. This condition allows urine to flow back up into the ureters and kidneys
  • Brain or nervous system illnesses (such as myelomeningocele, spinal cord injury, hydrocephalus) that make it harder to completely empty the bladder
  • Bubble baths or tight-fitting clothes (girls)
  • Changes or birth defects in the structure of the urinary tract
  • Not urinating (peeing) often enough during the day
  • Wiping from back (near the anus) to front after going to the bathroom. In girls, this can bring bacteria to the opening where the urine comes out
UTIs are more common in girls, especially around age 3 when they first begin toilet training. In boys who are not circumcised, the risk for UTIs is slightly higher before the first birthday. To know more on this click here
My little tot had the following when we brought her to ER last Thursday:
  • Colds
  • Dry Cough
  • Low Fever

They took the following tests to her which were all negative that time:
  • CBC (All Normal)
  • X-Ray (Lungs were clear)

We were sent home and was prescribed by the following:
  • Disudrin for colds
  • Ventolin for Cough
  • Cefuroxime (Zinnat) for antibiotics

But the following day, she was not getting any better. Aside from the following symptoms I have listed above, she was:
  • Not eating nor drinking her milk
  • Not in a good shape, she seemed so fatigue

So we immediately brought her to ER again, that time they did the following test:
  • CBC (All Normal)
  • X-Ray (Lungs were clear)
  • Urinalysis (resulted to UTI)

She was immediately admitted to prevent her from dehydrating since she was not eating nor drinking milk. They put IV on her was treated with the following:
  • Ventolin for Cough through Nebulizer
  • Antibiotics through IV
  • Paracetamol oral for fever
We stayed in the hospital from Saturday til Tuesday. They took another Urinalysis test that morning of Tuesday and thanks God it was already negative so they already sent us home. She does not have fever anymore and her coughing was lessen but she will still be under medication for seven days. She was advised to drinks lots of water and cranberry juice. Hopefully she'll be in good shape in no time. 
 By the way, thank you so much for all of those who whisper prayers for my little tot and for all of those who sent her some postcards. We truly appreciate it. Hope through this post we can be aware and prevent this infection from hitting our loved ones.


2 lovely thoughts on this:

mel of mmdc7 Online February 10, 2011 at 12:14 PM  

hi sis. thank God your baby is well.
I would like to suggest that drinking Cranberry juice can help prevent and cure UTI problem. It is much effective than the fresh buko juice, in my opinion.

It's me Tey! February 11, 2011 at 4:23 AM  

Ayoko na ng hospital scenario especially for kids.Hirap maging Mommy kapag nakikita mong nahihirapan din sila. I hope and pray na di na maulit kay little girl yan, nakasmile pa rin kahit nakadextrose. Cutiepie kulit pa rin!

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving some love :) and for not spamming ;) Muahugzzzz!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thanks for Visiting :)

Link/Badges Collections

About Me

My photo
Alabang, Philippines
The Sexy Wife of Chichi, a Loving Mom of our little tot and a certified Super GirlTalker! Thanks all for dropping by and leaving some love! Please don't forget to FOLLOW me, its on my sidebar. And to those who already followed me, I'll definitely return the favor :) If ever I failed, please don't hesitate to grab my attention. I prolly just missed it. Thanks again! Smooches to all! Don't forget to leave me some love when you drop by :)

Awards That Were Shared to Me


Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Thanks For Visiting Guys!

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP