Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Here's the continuation of our Journey to Finding the Right Preschool for my little tot. After our first stop at Cambridge International School, our second stop was at A-Plus Chinese Language Center and Preschool, inside Festival Mall. It is a preschool that offers dual language program. Chinese/Mandarin language lessons are incorporated on their curriculum which is actually the reason why I got interested on this center (No! We're not Chinese, I just like the idea of my little tot as bilingual :) or even trilingual :) )
Yesterday was her first day of a 3-day trial classes. Me and her nanny were allowed to stay inside the classroom as well so I can observe too. There were 10 students that time, two teachers (one Filipina and one Chinese) and a teacher aid. But looking on the names inside the classroom that are posted in their wall, they got 15 students which for me, is a bit too many for a class.
Here's their Tuition Fees, I got this when I called them, because during the trial class, there was no interview of orientation that was done.
Nursery (Quarterly mode of payment):
For 3x a week class: PHP16,771.00/quarter
For 5x a week class: PHP 22,361.00/quarter
Misc (one-time payment): PHP13,000.00 (for school uniform, cooking needs etc)* I still recommend you calling them to check if these rates still applies
Here are the things I have observed while attending the 3-hour TC yesterday morning:
- Roughly 15 students per class which I think for me is too many for the teachers to handle. As I observed, there were times that a student or two, were just in the corners doing something apart from the group
- The classrooms or should I say class area, is big enough for 15 or even 20.
- Cleanliness are not that observed inside the classroom. They are wearing their shoes inside the whole center, not just a pair of socks. I was actually worried on the sink inside the classroom. Water can be easily spill on the floor just by washing their hands and there is no foot rug that they can use to prevent spreading the water inside the classroom if in case.
- Teachers are nice and are all approachable
- I didn't find any spaces as waiting area. There is a big playground outside. That's what you will see at first when you go to their center.
|Proximity to our residence||5||very much accessible|
|Facilities||3||not well maintained|
|Ratio of teacher vs student||3||too many|
|Cleanliness and Hygiene||3||not that well-observed|
** As per their curriculum, I was not able to observe it that much since when we went there, it was their Chinese assessment which as per the teacher, is a one-on-one session with the Chinese teacher. However, the other students were left without really nothing to do.
We have decided not to continue the trial-class anymore this morning. Out little tot will have a break this week. We'll resume attending TC on a different preschool by next week. Just stay-tuned.
Here's their contact information as for your reference:
A-Plus Chinese Learning Center and Preschool
Level 4, Festival Supermall, Alabang, Muntinlupa City, 1781 Philippines
Tel. 772.1662 to 64 | Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The feedback above is 100% mine and I am just sharing our experiences while we are on our search for a good preschool. My experience and point of views might be different from your so I am still suggesting you to try it out in case you are interested.