Kids of the New Generation!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Yesterday, while I was having lunch with two of my colleagues, we came to a topic how different the kids of today as compared to us before. I do not know if most of you will agree, but kids before are more active than the generations of today. And we think that this is all because of the fast-paced technology that we have right now.

The three of us almost grew up in the same era wherein the usual past times that we have during the childhood days were mostly outdoor activities. Tumbang-preso, patintero, sipa, siato, taguan (hide and seek), turumpo, etc, those are some of the outdoor activities that we enjoyed playing back then. And aside from that there were lots of activities that bond the neighborhood or community you belong to like playing bingo after the afternoon siesta.

But these are rarely observe right now. Most of the kids now can be found in front of either a computer or a television that is equipped with game consoles. That is mainly because with today's technology most of the outdoor activities can be played inside the house, all you just need is a gadget such as Wii. You can even plant and harvest crops online which are readily available on some networking sites across the internet. It is not that we oppose these kinds of activities, but we still believe that there are still some benefits you can only get by engaging into some of the outdoor recreation, one of these is building a better social life.

We ended up agreeing with that as much as possible have our kids enjoy the best of both worlds in equal manner. Besides, too much of anything is a bad thing, right?

Photo Source: Ding Fuellos (top-left), Google (lower-left)

Thanks Kat for the wonderful first comment!

5 lovely thoughts on this:

Kat March 18, 2010 at 12:26 AM  

True that :) Kids nowadays have more distraction indoors. I am from the patintero and taguan generation! I remember trying to negotiate with my dad about going home later than my curfew just to be able to run and play longer :)

But yup, I guess with kids nowadays, striking a balance is the key (not that I have kids of my own, but this one's just based on observation ;))

kim March 18, 2010 at 1:49 AM  

I grew up playing outside past dark. Rode bikes all the time. Roller skated and went swimming. Kids these days are sitting around too much and a lot of them are obese because of it. We need to get this generation moving.

Aphrodite's Mortal Friend (ME) March 18, 2010 at 2:29 AM  

Yep ... that's why when it's reached 60 outside my kids are kicked outside until night fall :-)

dogsmom March 18, 2010 at 3:21 AM  

I was reading a blog today about a mother who caught herself texting to her son who was in the same house. We, as parents, have to do whatever it takes to give our children a balanced life and opportunities beyond technology.

MomsJournal March 18, 2010 at 10:29 PM  

I try to limit TV time and take my daughter outside as much as possible. Cause I agree we were outside a lot more way back in the day. ;-)

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving some love :) and for not spamming ;) Muahugzzzz!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thanks for Visiting :)

Link/Badges Collections

About Me

My photo
Alabang, Philippines
The Sexy Wife of Chichi, a Loving Mom of our little tot and a certified Super GirlTalker! Thanks all for dropping by and leaving some love! Please don't forget to FOLLOW me, its on my sidebar. And to those who already followed me, I'll definitely return the favor :) If ever I failed, please don't hesitate to grab my attention. I prolly just missed it. Thanks again! Smooches to all! Don't forget to leave me some love when you drop by :)

Awards That Were Shared to Me


Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Thanks For Visiting Guys!

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP